DYLON Multi-Purpose Dye is a hot water dye for use at the simmer.It is specially formulated for dyeing nylon and garments containing Lycra® elastane as well as natural fabrics like cotton, linen, viscose, wool and silk.
DYLON Multi-Purpose Dye can be used to dye a variety of craft and decorative items such as feathers, raffia, plastic buttons and wooden items.
- One 5g pack will dye up to 250g of fabric.
- Dyes cotton/linen/viscose/wool/ silk/nylon/spandex/rayon/lycra.
- Full dyeing instructions are included in each sachet
Note: Although MPD can be used for fabric, it is not colour fast on fabric. For fabric, we recommend Dylon Hand Dye
Directions for use for Fabric
- Weigh dry fabric. Wash fabric thoroughly even if new and leave damp.
- Fill saucepan or similar heatproof container with enough hot water to cover article and allow easy movement during dyeing.
- Wearing rubber gloves, dissolve dye in 500ml/1 pint of boiling water, stir well.
- Add solution to vessel with 30g/1oz salt, stirring well.
- Put in clean, damp article and raise temperature to simmer, then stir constantly for 20 minutes to ensure even dyeing.
- Rinse article until water runs clear. Results are not colourfast, so dyed garments should be turned inside out and washed separately.
- Dry away from direct heat and sunlight
Directions for use to dye buttons
- Wearing gloves, dissolve 5g of dye in 500ml/1 pint of boiling water.
- Add plastic components (up to 12g/4oz if it can be submerged) in 500ml/1 pint of boiling water
- Dye for 10 minutes at the boil.
- Rinse article until water runs clear